Patrick William Kavanagh
Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep
I think of childish prayers, and all the silly promises I tried to keep.
Looking back on all the dreams I had, and how I thought my life would be.
How could I have ever realised the journey, stretching far ahead,
That, up to this quiet winter evening,
Would somehow, end as me.
What innocence, what beauty in the childish eye,
An eye that sees the wonder in the world so easily, for children do not even have to try.
The rough coarse skin of age can dull the senses, failing ears and failing sight,
The simple joys concealed by aches and pains, the openness that scars of life can hide,
The childish curiosity, from which we've turned aside,
Was probably the best that we could be.
Do you remember?
Can you recall a time when life seemed sweet and full of new delights,
Or was the life that you began, as tough in the beginning,
as it gets on cold wet winter nights, when we grow tired and frail.
The questions mount,
The ticking of the clock reminds me that my enemy is time,
and as the seconds pass me quickly by,
I lie upon my bed and wonder,
Turning questions into tattered rhyme.
Patrick William Kavanagh's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep by Patrick William Kavanagh )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(1 January 1903 - 13 March 1976)
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Let's Share, Peter S. Quinn
- Into Darkness, Suparnna Anilkumar
- Nature Is My Sanctuary, Peter S. Quinn
- Sometimes Mysteriously, Luis Omar Salinas
- The Winter Wind., Tony Adah
- Untouched Love, Edward Kofi Louis
- Early Death, Luo Zhihai
- Flying, Michael Webb
- Alone..., Luo Zhihai
- Soul in anguish, Wensislaus Mbirimi