O friend! hope for Him whilst you live
O friend! hope for Him whilst you live,
know whilst you live, understand whilst you live:
for in life deliverance abides.
If your bonds be not broken whilst living,
what hope of deliverance in death ?
It is but an empty dream, that the soul shall have union with Him
because it has passed from the body:
If He is found now, He is found then,
If not, we do but go to dwell in the City of Death.
If you have union now, you shall have it hereafter.
Bathe in the truth, know the true Guru,
have faith in the true Name!
Kabir says : 'It is the spirit of the quest which helps;
I am the slave of this Spirit of the quest.'
Kabir's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (O friend by Kabir )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Bottle And Friend, Robert Burns
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Winter Night, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Double Jeopardy, David Lewis Paget
- Mining artwork narratives from Sydney Bi.., Danny Draper
- I want to change the language, Danny Draper
- Conference confinement, Danny Draper
- Lunch in the Art Gallery of NSW members .., Danny Draper
- Vulnerability, Valsa George
- Arbitrary (an acronym for beaurocracy), Danny Draper
- The Great Avarice Belief, Danny Draper
- Five Liner- Another Dawn, Valsa George
- They're at it again, Danny Draper