Cosy, kept from crowd’s curiosity
Her palanquin traversed the city streets.
In silk, feet, pigtails bound, through summer heats.
November, March well padded frieze freeze free.
All sorties, comforts, curtained secrecy.
Peiping, Canton, Shanghai, saw scene's repeats,
Always discretion peeping Toms defeats
Lest dark disgrace dishonour purity,
Advance lost face to cost integrity.
Now, times have changed: such sight no longer greets
Questive roving eyes' boundless conceits.
Unbridled horse. Cut pigtail century.
In bric-a-brac palanquin idle lies,
No opiates now rise to sweeten skies.
Jonathan ROBIN's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Palanquin by Jonathan ROBIN )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- In Search Of Americans, Joe Sadeghloo
- Write down everything, gajanan mishra
- Leap in time, Nassy Fesharaki
- My Soul Is A Traceless Wound, mary douglas
- A Pink Chalk Moon Rising Behind A Blue H.., mary douglas
- GALE'S MEDAL, Terry Collett
- Listen To Me, I am Talking, Ali Faisal
- That There Should Be Flowers There, mary douglas
- Tetracty Dry Grass, Heather Burns
- On The Highway Of Life, Heather Burns