Mark R Slaughter
Phlebotomist (not for the squeamish)
My antecubital vein -
I surrender it now unto you:
Feel free to aim your great lance -
Here's now hoping you know what to do!
That needle's wide and so blunt:
Will my vein stand the might of that stab?
She yanks the tourniquet tight:
Here it comes - will I faint? One-two jab!
Oo-agh! Oo-ahg! Oo-oo-ahg!
Flipping missed! Now I'm out on the floor.
But after clearing my head,
I then ease my poor self through the door.
‘Now steel your mind - don't be coy! '
That old vampire just screeches with chill,
‘You moved your arm silly man!
Now just sit in the chair and be still! '
She glared with glee through dark eyes,
As she poked at my poor little vein:
‘Aha! A tramline I see -
Now then, stay still and just take the pain.'
Then swoosh! The needle drives through,
But slides out of my arm as I yell:
‘That's air you're drawing, not blood! '
What to do with this butcher from Hell?
Her face was wild with crazed joy -
She just wanted to torture me now:
At least my mind told me so:
Dominatrix was she; blood-lust cow!
By now my face was deep grey,
As I pondered upon this mad farce:
Aha! I know what to do…
And I rammed a syringe up her a**se!
Copyright © Mark R Slaughter 2009
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Phlebotomist (not for the squeamish) by Mark R Slaughter )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Dead To You, Dexsta Ray
- Act Of Charity, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Vengeance, Leong Ming Loong
- Syllable Of Meaning, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Touching Rendition, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Dahshatgard, Bano Ali
- Safe Haven, Denis Martindale
- My Dear Father, Monesh Kumar
- But quarrelsome, gajanan mishra
- Period so brief, hasmukh amathalal