Poem Of Remembrance For A Girl Or A Boy
YOU just maturing youth! You male or female!
Remember the organic compact of These States,
Remember the pledge of the Old Thirteen thenceforward to the rights,
life, liberty, equality of man,
Remember what was promulged by the founders, ratified by The States,
signed in black and white by the Commissioners, and read by
Washington at the head of the army,
Remember the purposes of the founders,--Remember Washington;
Remember the copious humanity streaming from every direction toward
Remember the hospitality that belongs to nations and men; (Cursed be
nation, woman, man, without hospitality!)
Remember, government is to subserve individuals,
Not any, not the President, is to have one jot more than you or me,
Not any habitan of America is to have one jot less than you or me. 10
Anticipate when the thirty or fifty millions, are to become the
hundred, or two hundred millions, of equal freemen and
freewomen, amicably joined.
Recall ages--One age is but a part--ages are but a part;
The eternal equilibrium of things is great, and the eternal overthrow
of things is great,
And there is another paradox.
Recall the angers, bickerings, delusions, superstitions, of the idea
Recall the bloody cruelties and crimes.
Anticipate the best women;
I say an unnumbered new race of hardy and well-defined women are to
spread through all These States,
I say a girl fit for These States must be free, capable, dauntless,
just the same as a boy.
Anticipate your own life--retract with merciless power,
Shirk nothing--retract in time--Do you see those errors, diseases,
weaknesses, lies, thefts?
Do you see that lost character?--Do you see decay, consumption, rum-
drinking, dropsy, fever, mortal cancer or inflammation? 20
Do you see death, and the approach of death?
Walt Whitman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Poem Of Remembrance For A Girl Or A Boy by Walt Whitman )
Did you read them?
- Doom and Gloom, Nweke Emmanuel
- I have left my home, ramesh rai
- Turnips, Nassy Fesharaki
- Restoring Common Sense, douglas scotney
- The Treat, Glen Eker
- A Man In Time, THEODORE MOSLEY
- Alchemists, Rocky Lizardi.Brown
- Black History Our History, THEODORE MOSLEY
- Quick Glance Of Atlanta, Rocky Lizardi.Brown
- Al-Quds' freedom حرية القدس, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The British, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Dis poetry, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- De Rong Song, Benjamin Zephaniah
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
(15 April 1958)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)