Never by gold or silver hands
On a black face, or bonging
Menacingly from a tower
In some foreign place.
Certainly never digitaly flashing
From a VCR, mircrowave oven,
Bank sign or anything else.
No chasing the second hand across
A stark white face while
Killing time in a cubicled space.
Never from the top right corner
Of a computer monitor while
Stiff-necked and numbed
By the keyboard's clatter.
Never bejeweled, phospheresent
Never from my wrist, or any other wrist,
Hanging from a chain
Or from a stranger's lips.
No Grandfather clocks,
Mickey Mouse watches, hour glasses,
Punch clocks, alarm or cookoo clocks.
But only from this quartz clock,
With its glass face rimmed in gold,
And its gears exposed,
Is true time told.
Always in the right place,
Set on freshly dusted and polished wood in front
Of the wide living room window.
Are there, if you care.
Thin and suspended,
Secondary to what passes
Through and by its face.
Blowing leaves, swirling snow, cars,
Birds, walkers, children, the mailman,
Bicyclists, funeral processions.
The morning's first bright sun,
Sliced thin by vertical blinds,
Projected onto the hardwood floor
Through its glass face.
Francis Santaquilani's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Quartz clock by Francis Santaquilani )
- Washing Upon The Shore, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You Will Not Die, Paul Sebastian
- the world the flesh and the devill, ademola oluwabusayo
- If This Were My Last Moment, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Just the Right Madness: A Found Poem, Frank Avon
- COPLA 111 RESOLUTION: This Bad Guy World, T (no first name) Wignesan
- Nature's Sanctuary, Khairul Ahsan
- Gray Tears, herbert guitang
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.49, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.48, Monk E. Biz
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)