Never by gold or silver hands
On a black face, or bonging
Menacingly from a tower
In some foreign place.
Certainly never digitaly flashing
From a VCR, mircrowave oven,
Bank sign or anything else.
No chasing the second hand across
A stark white face while
Killing time in a cubicled space.
Never from the top right corner
Of a computer monitor while
Stiff-necked and numbed
By the keyboard's clatter.
Never bejeweled, phospheresent
Never from my wrist, or any other wrist,
Hanging from a chain
Or from a stranger's lips.
No Grandfather clocks,
Mickey Mouse watches, hour glasses,
Punch clocks, alarm or cookoo clocks.
But only from this quartz clock,
With its glass face rimmed in gold,
And its gears exposed,
Is true time told.
Always in the right place,
Set on freshly dusted and polished wood in front
Of the wide living room window.
Are there, if you care.
Thin and suspended,
Secondary to what passes
Through and by its face.
Blowing leaves, swirling snow, cars,
Birds, walkers, children, the mailman,
Bicyclists, funeral processions.
The morning's first bright sun,
Sliced thin by vertical blinds,
Projected onto the hardwood floor
Through its glass face.
Francis Santaquilani's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Quartz clock by Francis Santaquilani )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Auld Lang Syne, Robert Burns
- As Soon as Fred Gets Out of Bed, Jack Prelutsky
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
Poem of the Day
- Scanned, Sadiqullah Khan
- Lead me Home, Sadiqullah Khan
- While We Danced, Sadiqullah Khan
- BFF - done - PLaYiNg kEtCh up, sEaN nOrTh
- SNIP THE SCRIPTINGS' MISBECOMING, Dexsta Ray
- Tears And Dews, Tony Adah
- Feel Like, Michael P. McParland
- i still love you!, Alvin Word Speaker Tatlhego
- Gambled wrong, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- Searching For Stonehenge & Paradise (r), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR