He's in this room?
He's not being rocked
Side to side.
He's so pale.
He was so brown and
Often red. Strange
To not see him under
The sun, moon and stars.
A white blanket over him.
White sheets under him.
His head floats on a white pillow
Like a fish head on a cushion of
The whitest sea foam.
All of its color washed out to sea.
The wrinkles on his face and neck
And the crinkles around his eyes
Seem ironed out by this artificial light.
His mouth is closed, and
To compete with the gulls
And the waves.
They're silenced now too
Behind the thick glass.
He would've liked this view of the bay.
The gulls fade away into
The gray after a quick fly by
Of the large window to his room.
They seem to know he's not coming back.
The sea seems to have lost interest
In the shore.
A couple of inches above
His feeding tube
The mermaid on his arm is
Dead in the water. A lifeless
Blue and red blob adrift in white water.
Getting back his sea legs,
His lips clamp down on
A moist sponge lowered
To his mouth. It's just reflex,
His soul has sailed on,
The white blanket over him
Gently rises and falls. Beneath it
His heart still sails along.
Francis Santaquilani's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sailing On by Francis Santaquilani )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Alfred Edward Housman
(26 March 1859 – 30 April 1936)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Gerard Manley Hopkins
(28 July 1844 – 8 June 1889)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Pumpkin Pie, Ima Ryma
- '' Even Animals Look After Their Own '', bri mar
- With The Works Of Your Hands, Edward Kofi Louis
- On Earth Humans, Sari Mavi
- Being Exposed, Edward Kofi Louis
- Ignorance.., SALINI NAIR
- Sweet Tea!, Edward Kofi Louis
- John Masefield - Vagabundo, Paul Abucean
- The Warped Human Minds, rajendran muthiah
- Polished Nail, maria sudibyo