John McKay Withey
Right Colour Wrong Race.
Tight curly hair, fringing beautiful dark eyes,
Born of white parents, you were a surprise.
Your skin so brown for all to see,
Born during apartheid, shunned you'd be.
Your destiny was set from previous times,
Children at school sung unflattering rhymes.
Your family were often shunned in the street,
Believing your mother, an adulterous cheat.
You could talk more freely to a black than a white,
To which your father said 'It was not right'.
And with hormones raging you started an affair,
To a black man your first child you'd bare.
Your father disowned you to your great dismay,
'Mixing the races is illegal' he would say.
So your parents left you to suffer your fate,
Your father passed away still nursing his hate.
Covered in bruises from an abusive husband you fled,
Into hospital you were taken, to a home your children led,
Where they had to remain for nine long years,
Before the welfare system stopped your tears.
After sixteen years, your mother was traced,
Begging forgiveness, your fear was misplaced.
Your mother always loved you, you were never a disgrace,
You were born in a family, divided by race.
John McKay Withey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Right Colour Wrong Race. by John McKay Withey )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 May 1812 – 29 January 1888)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- The Greatest, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Rhyme, Akhil Arya
- The Best Days, Michael P. McParland
- The Arrival, Michael P. McParland
- Thank You So Very Much, Michael P. McParland
- This Life, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Thank You KP, Michael P. McParland
- Tenderly Ask, Michael P. McParland
- Taking It All In, Michael P. McParland
- VAMPIRES, ZOMBIES, AND METH, Chaarzarul Rockett