Saint Peter’s Response …… [inspired by “………..and if………..”, a poem by PH member Ruth Walters; SHORT; humour/humor; love; religion; afterlife; fantasy]
When Ruthie and her long-time gentleman lover.....
died and the pearly gates of Heaven did discover,
it was old St. Pete who barred their way and asked:
“Which of you lived without sin, though it be a frightful task? ”
They'd both sinned, a great deal in fact, and 'together', if truth be told,
but Ruth spoke up without fear and said “We both did”. Ruth was bold.
Then to her and her lifetime lover (and fellow sinner) Saint Peter finally said:
“Ruthie, I'm glad you're here, AND Surprise! ALL get in here when they're dead.”
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
and if in truth our love's to be eternal
until the sun and moon refuse to shine,
then happiness is ours to own forever
withstanding all the ravages of time.
and if we reach the pearly gates of heaven
and the angels ask me whether you have sinned,
I'll tell them we were sinners both together
and without you I'd rather not go in.....
Submitted: Wednesday, September 19,2012
Edited: Sunday, January 12,2014'
Comments about this poem (Saint Peter’s Response …… [inspired by “………..and if………..”, a poem by PH member Ruth Walters; SHORT; humour/humor; love; religion; afterlife; fantasy] by Bri Edwards )
Did you read them?
- There, Barbara Dixion
- Humpty-Dumpty, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Of Life Is Change, Is It Poetry
- Chicken Burger, Angela Wybrow
- Take me home, Barbara Dixion
- How...?, Ginny Gibbs
- gustakhi karke ched gyin uski aankhein, Yashvardhan Goel
- mukda, Yashvardhan Goel
- No More Yelling, Michael McParland
- The Wilderness We Abandon, Robert Rorabeck
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)