Down shaded avenues I wander
'Midst the falling Autumn leaves -
In solitude to dream and ponder
On all which the world now grieves.
Sweet melodies have softly faded
With the dying of the sun -
The paths of joy and love abraded,
All things lost and all things done.
With tranquil mind and silent yearning
For a time when peace shall be -
So armed with love and gracious learning,
Shall my heart and soul be free.
Thus on to distant realms I travel,
Searching for a future time
When every dream shall then unravel -
Splendid, wonderful, sublime.
Ah, be then still my soul forever,
No more tossed, torn, nor defiled -
All life's vicissitudes to sever,
Seeking lands yet fair and mild.
Oh, for a land where sunshine lingers,
Oh, for a land of sweet repose
Where every care slips through my fingers -
Peacefully ling'ring at the close...
Ah, peacefully ling'ring at the close.
Valerie Dohren's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Shaded Avenues by Valerie Dohren )
Did you read them?
- No Time, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Doctor Visit, Harold R Hunt Sr
- postponed until further -hey, i just not.., Mandolyn ...
- The elusive self., michael walker
- We Honor, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Why Do You Cry?, Harold R Hunt Sr
- read me like this, or don't read me at all, Mandolyn ...
- Love's Philosophical Potion, Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel ..
- Two Sisters, Harold R Hunt Sr
- My Bird, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(8 August 1884 – 29 January 1933)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow