the tempered mastery which like a wheel,
all things centered round revolving axis,
permits the freedom to all emotions feel,
in bondage to none, is crown of life's race!
not the freedom which denies, or forms
arbitrary limits, but excellence to explore
and develop - the capacity to absorb harms
and translate them to benefit, to ignore
limit and seek experiences undefined -
is true trust in temperance - a freedom
not for the unfit! who to self-limit resigned
attempts no more, self to death will condemn.
self dead to life, no life lives, nor is free.
life's attempting. attempting's life's mastery!
doug bentley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sonnet 27 by doug bentley )
- A Winter Ship, Sylvia Plath
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #06, Ronjoy Brahma
- Yadwigha, On A Red Couch, Among Lillies, Sylvia Plath
- Verbal Calisthenics, Sylvia Plath
- RESPECT ISN'T FOR BODY SIZE., Changez Ndzai
- The Goring, Sylvia Plath
- Words Heard, By Accident, Over The Phone, Sylvia Plath
- To A Jilted Lover, Sylvia Plath
- Event, Sylvia Plath
- To Eva Descending The Stair, Sylvia Plath