the tempered mastery which like a wheel,
all things centered round revolving axis,
permits the freedom to all emotions feel,
in bondage to none, is crown of life's race!
not the freedom which denies, or forms
arbitrary limits, but excellence to explore
and develop - the capacity to absorb harms
and translate them to benefit, to ignore
limit and seek experiences undefined -
is true trust in temperance - a freedom
not for the unfit! who to self-limit resigned
attempts no more, self to death will condemn.
self dead to life, no life lives, nor is free.
life's attempting. attempting's life's mastery!
doug bentley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sonnet 27 by doug bentley )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Choices, Perveiz Ali
- this is becoming a line at red box, Mandolyn Davidson
- A Daruman (He Is A Daruman, Sells Not, T.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Source of Revenue and Allocation, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- I do Love You, Dechen Doma Sherpa
- Outcomes of Resolutions, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Nico's Request, Aiyabells 002
- On a condition..., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Milk, Nassy Fesharaki
- Falling Fowards, Metaphorically Speaking