The Sword of Persia, Nader Shah
The “King of Kings”, Nader Shah,
the Emperor of Persia,
led a campaign against Kandahar,
in the border of Hindustan in 1736.
His soldiers confiscated the provisions,
estates, and animals like ponies, camels and horses.
Tax-dues were doubled and those denying money
were executed and the trade stopped.
After an arduous journey through the hardest terrain,
he laid a siege around the fort of Kandahar
and blocked all the supply routes to the fort.
A poet from his native land came all the way
and presented a poem in praise of Nader.
The emperor didn’t like his verses.
He ordered the Court-Usher to take the poet
around the camp and offer him for sale as a slave.
It’s a pity that there were no takers for the poet.
Nader asked him: ” How did you come here from Khorasan? ”.
“On a donkey”, the poet replied in all his innocence.
Nader at once offered his donkey for sale.
For a good price, it was taken.
The King gave the money to the usher
and let the poet run out of the camp.
The Conqueror who wielded the sword of Persia
had no taste for the words wielded in verses.
If the poets praise the robbers in Politics now,
awards and offers will overwhelm them.
rajendran muthiah's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Sword of Persia, Nader Shah by rajendran muthiah )
- Kill not thy conscience, Aftab Alam
- THROUGH MIDNIGHT, G. E. Gorfu
- The Harvesters, Jordy lustig
- EEL: Bird Whisperer, Saiom Shriver
- Bird Temperature, Saiom Shriver
- AOA▷오피뷰◁모든 분당오피 송파오피걸의 모든것 OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM, Yptjhjk0 Yptjhjk0
- To An Atheist, Saiom Shriver
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ강서오피녀 ⓑ송파오피 대란∠OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, Yptjhjk0 Yptjhjk0
- Lucidity, Saiom Shriver
- L.Messi 오피뷰 구로오피 KTwiz 송파오피 OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., Yptjhjk0 Yptjhjk0
Poem of the Day
- Empires (a free verse poem.), J.A McManus
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Angel, William Blake
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)