The Towns are Changing Fast
Four decades have gone past!
Being nostalgic, I visited the villages
of my bloodkin, around Sivakasi,
where I did my degree course.
I left one village as the pillion rider
on a moped to catch a bus two K.Ms off.
As the bus didn’t come, I got into a lorry
for the next six K.Ms. I got some space
to stick to the driver of a Share-auto
which was jam packed with ten humans
though permitted to carry five.
It was a bumpy ride before we
entered the outskirts of Sivakasi.
“Dear boy! Where is the tank-bund here,
where I roamed and read my books
in the cool breeze from the watery surface? ”
“ O, Grandpa! Buildings have sprouted up”,
the driver said carelessly.
“My God! There is a Shopping Mall
where there was a garden of flowery plants! ”
“You feel too much as the town was yours.
Catch hold of the steel- bar. If you slip and fall,
it will make the hell of my life”, he warned.
“ My Goodness! Once in this lane
there were hucksters of clothes,
astrologers with almanacs and horoscopes,
fortune- tellers with parakeets picking out cards
and tiffin -centres with Iddly Steamers! ”
“Goodbye Oldie! All the hawkers are in Malls
and Restaurants, Computer Centres and Temples.
You get down here to catch your bus.”He waved his hand.
rajendran muthiah's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Towns are Changing Fast by rajendran muthiah )
- मन, Aftab Alam
- The sacrifice, Mark Heathcote
- ये कैसा शहर है, Aftab Alam
- कुछ कह नहीं पाता, Aftab Alam
- Jadavpur University Campus A Heaven For .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Friends and foes, gajanan mishra
- Out There, Fatima Nusairat
- Immortal world, gajanan mishra
- Soulful smile, ramesh rai
- Perfection, Donnie Wolff
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns