M.D Dinesh Nair
When I invite my shadow
To walk with me
He declines and retreats.
He knows about my pathways
Where I search for boulders to walk upon
He says, ' Go alone'.
When I come back
My shadow waits for me at the doorsteps
He dresses up my bleeding feet
And says, ' How do you fee? '
I think at times my dear,
You are a little bigger than me.
My shadow needs no soaring sun
Nor the kindness of a moon.
He denounces only my acts of bravado
I shall set out on a long walk once
On a glade planted with smooth grass
Perhaps he will find it for me.
My shadow has gone to the gate
And he is inviting me this time
You have never before walked in front of me
I see the clouds coloured in white
And reach the gate to go with him.
So go out together once for ever
After me and before me
My shadow now moves like a future ahead
A shadow that wades across my world of smiles
There may be the nod of a god unseen
To go ahead for a little longer.
We shall and shall.
When I won`t exist in tomorrow`s world
What will you do my dear?
In the chambers of heaven unknown
Won`t you walk alone for once?
I am sure it will be thus.
So be it, I pray
M.D Dinesh Nair's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (THE WALK by M.D Dinesh Nair )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Federico García Lorca
(5 June 1898 – 19 August 1936)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(18 June 1945)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Happy Birthday Lord, Ron Baratono
- I Truly Do, Michael P. McParland
- I Still Love You, Michael P. McParland
- I Pray For You, Michael P. McParland
- Pangako, Jesus James Llorico
- I Only Have Eyes, Michael P. McParland
- Jessica Dances, Eleanor Farjeon
- I Need Your Beauty, Michael P. McParland
- I Need You (More Than You Know), Michael P. McParland
- Dance, Mary Carolyn Davies