John Carter Brown
Those were the Days
Oh for the days of ginger-beer
The days I hold so very dear;
Still vivid in my memory's eye
Games of hopscotch and eye-spy.
Saving jam-jars for the school
Catching 'cockies' in the pool;
Longing for my Christmas toys,
Making lots of childish noise.
Oh for the days of spinning-tops,
Playing robbers, playing cops;
Playing chiefs and indians too,
Paper feathers, paper glue.
Bouncing on the bed upstairs
After whispering my prayers;
Still I see myself at play,
So close but yet so far away.
Oh for the days of birthday jelly,
Watching popeye on the telly;
Bird-nesting upon the rec',
Dad insisting: 'Wash your neck! '
My torch of red and white and green,
Rolling out my plasticine;
Bats and stumps and cricket-balls,
Sweet young days at old St Pauls'.
(Written Aug 1996)
John Carter Brown's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Those were the Days by John Carter Brown )
- This Is Our Mega City, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.55, Monk E. Biz
- Global Village, Bijay Kant Dubey
- PRETTY GOOD START.., ging taping
- Draw me in your heart, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
- The thirst is a thorn., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Simple toys, hasmukh amathalal
- Acquaintance across the gender, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Begining of my love, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
- What is all truth, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Primary Colours, vince gullaci
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)