John F. McCullagh
Time in a Bottle
You cannot save time in a bottle,
that's not something a bottle can do.
Sure, time can be lost there
and loves are divorced there-
but saving time, bottles can't do.
For those who spend time in a bottle
will wonder where time has got to.
Time won't be found there,
perhaps a good wine there
is sufficient to compensate you.
And as for 'the box made for wishes
and dreams that will never come true.'
They will put you inside
and there you will bide
till Gabriel's playing for you.
You cannot keep time in a bottle
experience taught me that's true.
Perhaps whiskey or rye
and a slow way to die
but time will not stand still for you.
John F. McCullagh's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Time in a Bottle by John F. McCullagh )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Lifetime Ideas, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- new, Alvinzor Flores
- Potential Enemy, Tony Adah
- Egun gun, Le Masquerade, Birgitta Heikka
- Give Up the Black, Steven Rhoads
- In Sickness, Elizabeth Shield
- Selective basis, hasmukh amathalal
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -38, Ronjoy Brahma
- white paper, binod bastola
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -37, Ronjoy Brahma