Lawrence S. Pertillar
Have today become a mainstay...
Within mindsets fixed.
And shown with appearances more considered,
Than the facts they have attacked...
That have become for some major irritations.
Appalled and irate they choose to do when facing truth.
Caring about anything with expressed depth,
Has left many to believe too foolish to entertain.
Too many desire to stay 'toasted' to achieve quick 'highs',
With their delusions kept protected.
Listening to their priorities is not difficult to detect.
'I spent six weeks in quarantine.
And that changed my perceptions permanently.
Five months I spent,
With intent to re-evaluate my life and purpose.'
Listen to what I had to experience and recently.
And it left me in a deep depression.
I don't know if I will 'ever' get over it.~
'What happened? '
~You wont believe this but...
I spent eight weeks on a cruise.
On a vacation in the islands to relax and get rest.
And the service I received,
Was less than below par.~
'You got sick? '
On that trip I became 'nauseated' from the very beginning.
I had requested to be upgraded to the executive suite.
I waited for ten minutes before my request was approved.
You will not believe this.
'You got sick? '
I became livid when I was told by room service,
They had run out of Barcardi.
And if I wanted rum and coke,
I needed to go to the pool on the top deck.
There I would find a hostess to accomodate my request.~
~And then the hostess had the nerve to tell me,
She had forgotten I wanted my rum and coke 'without' rocks.
And I specifically told her...no rocks.
Well, immediately I went to the cruise director.~
'To then have what happen? '
~I was told I had created an unnecessary scene.
And 'that' sickened me the entire trip.~
That would make me upset too, I guess.
That God you were able to heal successfully.'
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Trivial Pursuits by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Ever Hike in Hope, Pintu Mahakul
- The Past, Eugene Latumbo
- Lovely Hand, Pintu Mahakul
- There you are, Cee Bea
- Memories:, Gaurav Pandey
- Loneliness, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Christmas Tree, Zoila T. Flores
- I Did Not Ask Him, But Said He, I Am A M.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- An Umbrella, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Cloudless Rain, Aftab Alam