Reason A. Poteet
Twelve Days of Christmas
1. a partridge in a pear tree
Bird much loved for its tasty flesh,
of its spirit have we no thought?
Worship the Christ Child in the crèche
but long to know what He has taught.
2. two turtledoves
Old Testament predicts Christ’s birth
foretelling One would bring release.
The New reveals his mighty worth;
God's own Son fulfills the peace.
3. three French hens
Faith, Hope and Love personified
fill this Babe when He has grown.
Father and Spirit guard Son’s side
till He ascends back to His throne.
4. four calling birds
Matthew and Mark, with Luke and John
wrote Jesus' story down, the Way.
Calling mankind whereupon
repent, believe, confess, obey.
5. five golden rings
From tribe's return to Promised Land
back to the start, Creation told.
Golden years to help understand -
God gave the Law to guide man's soul.
6. six geese a laying
Six-day Creation: light was first,
next water, land, and sky's array
with plants and beasts all interspersed.
Last - in God's image, man of clay.
7. seven swans a'swimming
God's Spirit rests upon His Child
granting wisdom, knowledge and might,
righteousness, counsel, un-beguiled,
with fear of the Lord and insight.
8. eight maids a'milking
Peacemakers, spirits who are weak,
a righteous thirst, pure hearts, oppressed,
the merciful, mournful, and meek.
Jesus taught that such souls are blessed.
9. nine ladies dancing
The seed produced in Mary's boy
yields fruit of patience, loyalty,
self-control, peace, love and joy,
goodness, kindness and sympathy.
10. ten lord's a'leaping
Making known sin's common grounds.
Ten Commandments condensed to three
Love God by leaps and bounds;
Love your neighbor and enemy.
11. eleven pipers piping
From shepherds chosen by our Lord
eleven opt to play His song.
When He arose, in one accord
indwelling spirit made them strong.
12. twelve drummers drumming
God's Holy Word is the Bible.
Twelve months we have within each year
for which we are held liable
to broadcast Jesus without fear.
Reason A. Poteet's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Twelve Days of Christmas by Reason A. Poteet )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Bottle And Friend, Robert Burns
- Who Ever Loved That Loved Not at First S.., Christopher Marlowe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Fond Kiss, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Bagdad, een lens met rode haarvaatjes, Madrason writer
- When the Soul Was Weathered into Stone, Luo Zhihai
- Sunday's tears, Marilyn Jean
- Poe's Venture, Folayemi Akande
- Our Loving, Caring God, Dr John Celes
- Momentary Separation, Md. Ziaul Haque
- A Divine Bond, Md. Ziaul Haque
- SERENDIPITY, Aminath Neena
- To Be Intelligent, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Youth, Md. Ziaul Haque