M.D Dinesh Nair
I welcome 2014
With a smile born 49 years ago as passed from my granny,
I welcome the New Year
With a sigh born some years later as my mom ever had had it,
And I welcome 2014
With a whistle as someone had inserted between my lips long ago.
I welcome 2014
With a hundred dreams delightful,
With ten resolutions strong
And a scare elusive and haunting.
I am afraid to travel in the train of my dreams
When my past chases me like a nightmare often.
What is this nonsense?
Expecting happiness to knock at your door every 1st of January,
What is this nuisance?
Wishing every unhappy man a HAPPY NEW YEAR,
And where is your wallet of real joy?
Stolen by time the incorrigible pedestrian?
In my past I used to wonder and ask
“Why we celebrate the New Year Day? ”
And a man with a lot of white hair told me then
“It is for children and the innocent”.
I have lost both my childhood and innocence,
But I am wished A HAPPY NEW YEAR again and again!
I look like a mule often mistaken as the other two
And till the dust settles you cannot figure me out!
My hair has turned white here and there, I know
And soon I may begin to forget to greet you all.
I am a pessimist for my mind would quiz me otherwise,
And I see a sparrow flying high but now chased by a kite.
I am an optimist for you would admonish me otherwise,
And I also see an over sized thin balloon in the hands of a child.
I welcome 2014
With an inward eye that sees things dismal
And with an ear that hears silence eerie.
I too wish you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR
M.D Dinesh Nair's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (WELCOME 2014 by M.D Dinesh Nair )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- 'My Christmas Prayer' (For all who have .., Linda Winchell
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Ring Out , Wild Bells, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Poetry of the Stars, Shahrokh Sharifrazy
- The Song of Krishna, Shahrokh Sharifrazy
- My Christmas Wishes, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- What a Concept is this Love, Shahrokh Sharifrazy
- Sri Ramakrishna (1836 - 1886), Tushar Ray
- Love Is, Kristen Brown
- Poetry in Motion, Shahrokh Sharifrazy
- Nothing I Fear, Kristen Brown
- Tantalizing, Kristen Brown
- Your Heart Be At Ease (Rewrite), Kristen Brown