Why do you take hold of my
my voice and the pen?
Your force holds me back,
and fills me with pain.
Why don't you measure
the depth of a poet's mind?
Your power can't put me back,
I ain't ready to stay behind.
I'm a woman, so I can't have
any wit or intelligence!
Can I be bought by anyone
with penny or pence?
I have the wish, the
desire to flow as stream,
to touch the pinnacle
of the high altitude,
I have built a dream--
Do not shatter it,
do not make it fall.
Let me play the flute not
for you only but for all!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Why? by Neela Nath )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Poem of the Day
- alphabet you two bucks you drive a truck, Mandolyn ...
- Open the floodgate.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- A Dream Of Death,, Luo Zhihai
- Feeling Your Spirit, Michael P. McParland
- Word, Birgitta Heikka
- Ganjaraja And His Associates/Ganjaraja W.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Royal Presidio Chapel, Monterey California, Steven Federle
- the apple of my I, Prophmatt . . .
- And Then There Was Love, Sandra Feldman
- Sigh, Erwick Brandon