Why is the Ocean so Salty?
Tears will well up in the eyes,
Spill over with a blink of surprise.
Travel down the cheek and neck,
And make their way to the chest
wrap themselves around the heart,
tight enough to make it almost break apart.
then down to the stomach where they tie a great big knot.
then through the intestines quick as a shot,
They fall to the ground with one big plop.
Then burrow down deep into the earth and back on top.
They inspire young things to sprout and grow.
Then meet up with rain drops and turn to snow.
Soon they melt and join others at the rivers or streams,
Then onto the ocean to chase after large ships and lost dreams.
Elena Plotkin's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Why is the Ocean so Salty? by Elena Plotkin )
- Idol dances, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Ayrton, Edward Kofi Louis
- Yesterday Hours, Nathalie Handal
- Grammar School, Edward Kofi Louis
- Ephratha, Nathalie Handal
- First Sight., Bieze Josephat
- Gaza City, Nathalie Handal
- The safety., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Limerick-35, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- no more love story, The Princess is
Poem of the Day
- nugget, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- bra maidenform, rwetewrt erwtwer
- healthy back bag, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- rwetewrt erwtwer
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)