With Mum on your Side
It used to be I'd hop out of bed,
So eager to start my day.
But times have changed. I ask my mum,
"Can I stay home from school today? "
I find a lot of grounds,
To justify my stance.
I plead, I beg, I frown,
I do a little dance.
"My ears, they ache. My tummy's sore.
"I blow my nose and cough some more.
"What are these spots upon my chest? "
I wheeze. I sneeze. I do my best.
My Mum sits down beside my bed.
"You are not sick." I turn bright red.
I know she hates it when I lie.
She'd understand if she knew why.
So should I tell her of my woes?
And will it change things if she knows?
I fear she'll only make things worse.
If I don't tell her, I think I'll burst.
And so I tell her of the clique.
The girls who say that I'm a "geek".
I tell of giggles,
I talk of their spite,
They cruel sense of humor.
It feels so good to vent.
Although it's so private.
I talk and talk.
My Mum's very quiet.
She says to me gently, "
I'm terribly sorry."
We hug and we cry.
We go over my story.
Together we look at the things we can do.
I'm no longer alone; we have a plan too.
I think I can face being teased and harassed.
With Mum on my side, my power is vast.
Sian Mein's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (With Mum on your Side by Sian Mein )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- You don't deserve a title, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Don't wait, Marina Olivera Sangers
- I am an eagle, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Exactly what I am looking for, Diamond The Ninja
- You're the one with issues, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Words, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Am I Asking Too Much, GJG Elton
- Perfection, Marina Olivera Sangers
- GroundSound, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Bukowski, Frank Avon