On a sea strand,
Have you watched empty shells
Mercilessly tossed from sea to shore
And from shore to sea?
Often I shrink and reduce to such a shell,
With jagged and broken edges
Colourless and empty
Lying half buried under the sand,
Among many castaways,
Waiting for the mother or father wave
To wash me away.
How tedious is my voyage
Shuttling from father to mother
And from mother to father
Unable to openly confess
Who weighs more
On the balance of preference
Through how many alleys and by ways
I have wandered, questioning my identity!
Am I a puffer fish
Being toxic, the fisher men have discarded?
Or a jarring note in a discordant symphony?
I wonder! I often ask myself!
Destined to grow
In mercurial climes,
Planted in arid shallow soil
With the tap root trimmed,
I, a stunted bonsai!
Still I dream to be a towering tree,
That in profusion gives fruits and shade
A midget aspiring to be a Goliath
A hollow reed,
Longing at once to be the singer and the song!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Bonsai by Valsa George )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- I am Thou, Tushar Ray
- My entangled particle, john thanh le
- Half Alive, Katherine Perry
- Land of opportunities, gajanan mishra
- Buzzards, Mark Heathcote
- Nothing is terrible, gajanan mishra
- My life, Shawn Grace
- Learning To Drive, Kristen Brown
- Christmas Angel, louis rams
- To Bed! To Bed!, David Lewis Paget