A Most Uncommon Man
I know a most uncommon man
Who now must stand alone.
The way he chose to walk life's span,
Our group would not condone.
He would not feign, rebuke or curse,
Or plant a Judas kiss.
He did not crave a jewelled purse,
But strove for inner bliss.
We never shook his hold on peace,
With lures of worldly worth.
He measured man for dignities,
Not by material girth.
His plan devoting time for thought,
Denied our banal play;
A broader, deeper life he sought,
Along his thirsting way.
He was not anchored to his perch,
By bonds of social stare.
He felt that one should ever search,
Or sink in aimless care.
A non-conforming dreamer, he
Did shun our social code;
With what we call absurdity,
He walked the lonely road.
Now, as we struggle in our rut,
I must say this to you-
If that man really was a nut,
I'll take a peck, or two.
Joseph Anderson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Most Uncommon Man by Joseph Anderson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- A mother's milk, gajanan mishra
- They could feel, Nassy Fesharaki
- How Oswald Dined with God, Edwin Markham
- mashumiyet, anikesh wats
- Whatever you want to do, gajanan mishra
- Make in you, gajanan mishra
- In My Daydream, Margaret Alice Second
- UNTOLD JOURNEY, Satish Verma
- Ride the lion, gajanan mishra
- Flame, Nassy Fesharaki