A Most Uncommon Man
I know a most uncommon man
Who now must stand alone.
The way he chose to walk life's span,
Our group would not condone.
He would not feign, rebuke or curse,
Or plant a Judas kiss.
He did not crave a jewelled purse,
But strove for inner bliss.
We never shook his hold on peace,
With lures of worldly worth.
He measured man for dignities,
Not by material girth.
His plan devoting time for thought,
Denied our banal play;
A broader, deeper life he sought,
Along his thirsting way.
He was not anchored to his perch,
By bonds of social stare.
He felt that one should ever search,
Or sink in aimless care.
A non-conforming dreamer, he
Did shun our social code;
With what we call absurdity,
He walked the lonely road.
Now, as we struggle in our rut,
I must say this to you-
If that man really was a nut,
I'll take a peck, or two.
Joseph Anderson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Most Uncommon Man by Joseph Anderson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Bijay Kant Dubey
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Indian Babas And Their Sex Scandals, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Pickled with fate and time, Aftab Alam
- A Preface to My Autobiography, Valsa George
- Haiku - Life, chandra thiagarajan
- An educational song., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Not permanent, hasmukh amathalal
- UNKNOWN, Fatima Obaid
- My Fight, Rusty (Ed) Gibson
- Remembering Poem, Kyle Schlicher
- In HIm Alone, david kush
- Irony of the world., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..