Almedia Knight Oliver
A Mother's Collection: Tissues, Bones, and Blood (first)
Her First born that seems so long ago:
Peering into my mind
Look at what I see!
Life-form swimming in sap, and
nourished by condemnation and shame...
A little unnamed baby lay quietly in her
Now what to do with this little stranger
with none other to name him but me? I'm in
Desperate need of on the job training!
Days, weeks, and months were my only teachers.
Son, step into the now, a half century
Oh my! How time flies! Oftentimes,
it's when a son becomes a man that a mother
Realizes the many ways he touches her heart.
As a young man you were filled with so many dreams.
But more than that, you had hopes and aspirations, and
Facing them on your own terms, you attained them...son,
you earned them!
On this special day, I want you to know that,
you don't have to earn my love.
My tissues, bones, and blood, I'm
grateful to you for being a wonderful
son, husband, father, and brother.
Sorry! No do-over-for the first one…yet
without my making mistakes,
you may not have made anything.
Happy Birthday, son!
Almedia Knight Oliver's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Mother's Collection: Tissues, Bones, and Blood (first) by Almedia Knight Oliver )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
George Gordon Byron
(22 January 1788 – 19 April 1824)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I'm Explaining a Few Things, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- The Tired Smile, Leong Ming Loong
- Blood and Gore, Leong Ming Loong
- Expressly For A Friend..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Welcome Love, Sari Mavi
- Wrongdoing, Leong Ming Loong
- Beyond Emerald City...(r), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Many Buffalomen & The Bullock-cartmen To.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Raucous, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The resting place, Emmanuel George Cefai
- History writes, Emmanuel George Cefai