Dr. Tulsi Hanumanthu
All that Glitters Need Not Be Gold
Lo! comes Dawn, the Sky's morning maid,
To rouse the Sun - still in slumber laid
On a couch with satiny sheets of red-amathyst,
And draped with mosquito-nets of gossamer mist!
As, slothfully, the Sun ulocks his eye
(And captive Sleep, uncaged, away does fly) ,
Twilight thankfully ends her part-time vigil:
Relieved of charge, wherefor tarry still?
TheSky is now aglow with joy untold
At husband's sight - bathed in molten gold!
How soft and vast a carpet she has spread
To cushion his feet throught his tour ahead!
Clad in radiant robes of silver bright,
The Sun, with gratis stocks of warmth and light,
Sallies forth for rationing out in shares
To all, their quota of his diurnal wares.
Behold the sky - as vesperal dusk ensues -
Cosmetising her baby Sunset Hues
And clothing them in brightly dyed attire
For their evening jaunt with their glittering sire!
With what delight the bubbling Hues all gather
And throng the Sun like whorls of coloured lather!
They circumambulate with swirling frills
And motley patterns weave with whirling drills!
But all that glitters is not wholly gold:
The Sun's flaws his secret deeds unfold!
No faithful spouse and, less, a doting Pa
He proves to be ere going hardly far.
Ditching his kids by stooping low behind
A mountain peak - so none may see or find -
Into the Ocean's arms he soon alights,
Behind the black screen of abetting Night!
Dr. Tulsi Hanumanthu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (All that Glitters Need Not Be Gold by Dr. Tulsi Hanumanthu )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Moment Of Happiness, Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
Poem of the Day
- My Soul, Michael P. McParland
- Love is Blind, Apolynn Lagaras
- My Sweet Angel Dove, Michael P. McParland
- My Sweet Lady, Michael P. McParland
- My Sweet Love, Michael P. McParland
- My Queen 3, Michael P. McParland
- My Queen 2, Michael P. McParland
- My Queen, Michael P. McParland
- My Promise, Michael P. McParland
- My Prayer, Michael P. McParland