Being A Snail ....... [Snails; from the snail's 'mouth'; wisdom; a touch of humour/humor]
Please don’t confuse me with my cousin “Slug”,
and never, no never dare.....to call me a bug!
I’m a SNAIL, and proud to show off my shell,
and if you don’t like it, you can go to Hell! !
Oh, forgive me for what I just “had to say”.
I may be slow, but sometimes I must have my way!
Do you ever wonder what life’s like as a snail,
when across a sidewalk slab you spy my shiny trail?
I hope you’re not one of “those” who’s in a rush,
who, under your heavy feet, my snail-friends crush.
Sure, we may be found on a garden flower or two,
but believe me, we’re just eating fungus, or drinking dew.
We may not be pretty and we may sure be slow,
but we’re steady as clockwork, as the next stanza will show.
Why, none other than the U.S. Postal Service chose the snail......
to be its mascot. I suppose you’ve heard by now......of “Snail Mail”.
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
i actually have had more 'to do' with slugs and bugs, but something made me write about snails. and some of their shells ARE pretty! bri :)
Comments about this poem (Being A Snail ....... [Snails; from the snail's 'mouth'; wisdom; a touch of humour/humor] by Bri Edwards )
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 January 1887 – 20 January 1962)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- XVII (I do not love you...), Pablo Neruda
- Where The Mind Is Without Fear, Rabindranath Tagore
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- The Beauty that is Simplicity, Leong Ming Loong
- ALL MY DAYS, Colin Ian Jeffery
- Siclliano, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Goodnight Kiss 3, Michael P. McParland
- Mona Lisa, The Enigmatic Masterpiece, Rajesh Thankappan
- A Dream Of Death, Luo Zhihai
- Why Life?, Sandra Feldman
- Adrenaline, Raihana Abdul Jabbar
- What was this feeling?, Sergio Jaime
- MERI PRAKRATI, Gunjan Panchal