The frightening finale of every academic session,
Is the savage ceremony called ‘Term End Examination'.
One can complacently contemplate a fine future,
By puking memorized data on paper.
Students suffer from immense stress and anxiety,
When examiners assume the role of God Almighty.
These sleep deprived and underpaid divinities,
Evaluate students' retention capacity and decide their destiny.
Why care about understanding and knowledge,
When you just need to swallow and vomit unadulterated bookish garbage.
This complicated content, is magnanimously accepted and rewarded by our erudite examiners,
Who make toppers out of expert crammers.
Marks decide one's future to a large extent,
Low grades have often throttled the hopes of many young talents.
This harrowing system of examination,
Is not meant for those with a vivid imagination.
Useless cramming machines, occupy responsible positions,
Why not? They have all the requisite qualifications.
The deserving degreeless, quietly do their work and take orders,
While the ivy-leaguers enjoy all the honours.
That a person's intelligence, competence and knowledge gained,
Can be assessed by a written test, remains a mystery unexplained!
Yet every year examinations are conducted,
And many suicides committed.
Supriya Prathapan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Examination by Supriya Prathapan )
- weird smells, lee fones
- Truth, Jonathan H. Scott
- Hindi haiku - diwali, S.D. TIWARI
- You, With Your Wild Strawberries, Will N.., mary douglas
- A jumping bean, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A bean, Harold R Hunt Sr
- There are heroes, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Love counts the hours, Mark Heathcote
- My Deck, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A trip to rotgut, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)