Was it really so easy to just forget?
Did we never think we’d ever regret?
We knew that time would not wait.
But yet we still chose to hesitate.
The years just flew by and by,
We let our youth and drive die.
Was it laziness or mere convention
that made us stop paying attention?
Whatever it was, we were wrong,
We should never have taken so long.
We didn’t just miss out on an opportunity.
We foolishly bet our lives on eternity.
(C) 2012 Copyright Elena Plotkin
Elena Plotkin's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Foolishly Bet by Elena Plotkin )
- Come to me I am here, gajanan mishra
- The Phonecall Generation, Aidan Cost
- Sleepless Nights, Mimi Ahmed
- Truth is opening, gajanan mishra
- I Am Afraid, Amitava Sur
- How then?, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- Cholesterol, Dr PJ Raj Kamal
- A Confession, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- My Dog Lays at My Feet, David McLansky
- Asthi-Kalasha, Bijay Kant Dubey
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)