For the Soul's Own Song
One must collect words
if one wishes to write convincingly;
concrete words like plasticine, Neanderthal,
abstract words like meme, sacerdotal.
Proper nouns; Desdemona, Hildegard.
Teeth-gnashing words like gnostic, gnaw-
one suspects Gnosticism became less popular
when the teeth were ground too raw.
Words with hidden lightning- sleep-
like zenith, zither, zephyr, zepellin.
Hungry words, somnolent, narcissistic;
onomatopoeias- honk and beep.
Power-house words; Nimrod, Agamemnon.
Dumb-with-hunger words like famish, faint.
Words with special meaning for only two,
words with irony or outright angst.
Words we meant, when other words went wrong.
Words we lent, for the soul's own song..
Patti Masterman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (For the Soul's Own Song by Patti Masterman )
- Fading Love, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Walk Away, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Be Calm and Cool, Aftab Alam
- Saying I Do, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- A SONG FOR YOU, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Quick-Sand, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- this day, sheade rudman
- Love Always, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Smile Not For All, Savita Tyagi
- Life with you, Saturday Chikezie Promise
Poem of the Day
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)