For the Soul's Own Song
One must collect words
if one wishes to write convincingly;
concrete words like plasticine, Neanderthal,
abstract words like meme, sacerdotal.
Proper nouns; Desdemona, Hildegard.
Teeth-gnashing words like gnostic, gnaw-
one suspects Gnosticism became less popular
when the teeth were ground too raw.
Words with hidden lightning- sleep-
like zenith, zither, zephyr, zepellin.
Hungry words, somnolent, narcissistic;
onomatopoeias- honk and beep.
Power-house words; Nimrod, Agamemnon.
Dumb-with-hunger words like famish, faint.
Words with special meaning for only two,
words with irony or outright angst.
Words we meant, when other words went wrong.
Words we lent, for the soul's own song..
Patti Masterman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (For the Soul's Own Song by Patti Masterman )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(June 27, 1936 - February 13, 2010)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Boy Who Laughed At Santa Claus, Ogden Nash
Poem of the Day
- A Thought A Head, Ima Ryma
- **कधी कधी **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- ** सागं ना 2 **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- ** अबोल भावना मनातल्या **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- I am Not Alone, Sandra Feldman
- When the flower withers, Leong Ming Loong
- चादंण रात, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- The Scheme, Tony Adah
- The Worry, Leong Ming Loong
- जो अब तन्हा ही निकला तो, ज़माना साथ चलता है, Abhishek Omprakash Mishra