For the Soul's Own Song
One must collect words
if one wishes to write convincingly;
concrete words like plasticine, Neanderthal,
abstract words like meme, sacerdotal.
Proper nouns; Desdemona, Hildegard.
Teeth-gnashing words like gnostic, gnaw-
one suspects Gnosticism became less popular
when the teeth were ground too raw.
Words with hidden lightning- sleep-
like zenith, zither, zephyr, zepellin.
Hungry words, somnolent, narcissistic;
onomatopoeias- honk and beep.
Power-house words; Nimrod, Agamemnon.
Dumb-with-hunger words like famish, faint.
Words with special meaning for only two,
words with irony or outright angst.
Words we meant, when other words went wrong.
Words we lent, for the soul's own song..
Patti Masterman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (For the Soul's Own Song by Patti Masterman )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Preface To A Twenty Volume Suicide Note, Imamu Amiri Baraka
- Out, Out, Robert Frost
- Barter, Sara Teasdale
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Changing Everything, Jane Hirshfield
- If Thou Of Fortune Be Bereft, John Greenleaf Whittier
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
Poem of the Day
- A Cheaper Way To Fly, Darren Hobson
- Dear Lonely Animal,, Oni Buchanan
- And The World, Darren Hobson
- Heaven Must Be A Lonely Place, Derek Brendish
- all at once..., ging taping
- Could I Walk Alone?, Derek Brendish
- Human Karma, Harindhar Reddy
- A Madman, Tanya K.Tuomi
- Bamboo Love, Tanya K.Tuomi
- Twilight Land, Tanya K.Tuomi