How Many Poets Does It Take To Put Out A Candle?
You're not like a gas flame...
Or I would see a point of nothingness
at your base.
That invisible rush of expectancy
No, your whole body devours.
The crucified wick stands to attention.
Looks down in awe at your handiwork
Impurities which in the wax
gave lack of depth in solid shape,
now molten, clear, transparently sheer.
encroach the rim, on route to where?
To abseil down the virgin shaft
First to spoil the un-rippled column
or race behind another's track
leap-frogging as your molecules mourn to stillness
Or drop and set upon a child's hand
They watch how quickly you change
from lava flow
to bathing caps for their fingertips.
Light and warmth and dancing flame
Dreamer's magnet, pulling in
the trawler's nets full of visions
I snuff you to sleep
and walk away
as you wave goodnight
with your ribbons of smoke.
Dan Reynolds's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (How Many Poets Does It Take To Put Out A Candle? by Dan Reynolds )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 February 1970-)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Bright Star, John Keats
Poem of the Day
- Tenderly Ask, Michael P. McParland
- Taking It All In, Michael P. McParland
- VAMPIRES, ZOMBIES, AND METH, Chaarzarul Rockett
- Take My Hand, Michael P. McParland
- two line, Razaur Rahman
- WHERE STUPIDITY REIGNS, Michael P. Johnson
- Dillema of Poor, hafiz qasim
- The way Of Man, Tony Adah
- God, Save Me From Indian English Poets (.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Hollow Reed, Midnights Voice