How Many Poets Does It Take To Put Out A Candle?
You're not like a gas flame...
Or I would see a point of nothingness
at your base.
That invisible rush of expectancy
No, your whole body devours.
The crucified wick stands to attention.
Looks down in awe at your handiwork
Impurities which in the wax
gave lack of depth in solid shape,
now molten, clear, transparently sheer.
encroach the rim, on route to where?
To abseil down the virgin shaft
First to spoil the un-rippled column
or race behind another's track
leap-frogging as your molecules mourn to stillness
Or drop and set upon a child's hand
They watch how quickly you change
from lava flow
to bathing caps for their fingertips.
Light and warmth and dancing flame
Dreamer's magnet, pulling in
the trawler's nets full of visions
I snuff you to sleep
and walk away
as you wave goodnight
with your ribbons of smoke.
Dan Reynolds's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (How Many Poets Does It Take To Put Out A Candle? by Dan Reynolds )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- No Harm, abigail sikwenda
- Never Ex, abigail sikwenda
- Its not my fault, abigail sikwenda
- The Glorious Leader, Chris Zachariou
- Karma says Patience, abigail sikwenda
- Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, Jayatissa Liyanage
- Now, D.L. Aceves
- *Jacaranda Bloom, C. P. Sharma
- We are free, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Parasite, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta