God they had to be no older than 20, and boy did they look run-in.
The sun had just gone down over the pawtuxet river when they had caught me,
not completely off-guard but not all together on,
it was the hour- the hour of the night dwellers the homeless make a killing on nights like tonight when the party crowds are out on the town looking for a real good time.
They were all sitting near the south end of the central park with what looked like a shopping cart full of boxes. I couldn’t make them at first but as I approached these denizens one broke the chill air “ say could you spare me some change? I am on the streets you know”
coming closer into the dim street lamp I saw how utterly run down this boy was and how in the lines and his eyes and in light he was truelly gone.
Here take a few beers thank you
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (karmaintoxication by jerome moore )
- A Bystander, Sibghatullah Khan
- A Leaf of Small Boat, Rose Lu ( Bing hua )
- Forget Forgive Focus Follow and have Fai.., Dimitri Jagodinski
- I Wrote Too Much, Shalom Freedman
- If You are Sad, Turn the Pages, Hebert Logerie
- Time Flies, Tony Adah
- The Troika's Gone, sasha yarlexolnikov
- I Am as Dull as Everyday, Sara Fielder
- Vendémiaire Wednesdays, sasha yarlexolnikov
- Incandescent Drapes, sasha yarlexolnikov