Babatunde Idowu Ebenezer
Let Me Sing For You
Bring the cymbals, bring the sticks.
Raise the acuba, set the konga.
My talking drum hangs in my grandfather's room,
Wake up the old man and oil his wrinkled palms.
Invoke the sun and appease the rain,
Offer them kolanuts and bitterkolas,
Give them palm oil but no palm wine,
Lest they lose their minds and ruin my play.
Tell the Eastern wind to bring calmness,
Sound the gong, beat the drums and clap your hands.
Open your mouths and click your tongues,
Round your lips and blow through them.
Bring my garment of fire,
And let the game begin.
Dance to the square and
Let me sing for you.
Let me sing for you,
Oh you the African queen,
Let me sing for you and only for you.
Oyebola, roll your round hips and let me sing,
Oyebola, oh you the elegant beauty,
Oyebola, the epitome of African fairness.
Oyebola, brown like the sandy soil,
Oyebola, dark like the loamy soil.
Oyebola, move your long legs and let me sing.
Oyebola, clapping like thunder upon the roof,
Oyebola, rolling as if blades of an electric fan.
Oyebola, the fairest of the fair queens,
Oyebola, the one the housewives envy,
Oyebola, the lady the virgins hate.
Oyebola, the tamer of princes,
Oyebola, the Iroko in the market centre!
Take the stage and flood my play.
Let my flute play until the dawn darken.
Let my voice sing till I become dumb.
Let my body sweat until my cloths tear.
Let me sing for you,
The fairest of all.
Babatunde Idowu Ebenezer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Let Me Sing For You by Babatunde Idowu Ebenezer )
- Stepping Into Your Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- this poem, Bull Hawking
- Revealed From Pretentions Concealed, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Ego Control, Ali Faisal
- Coming Home, Randy McClave
- what is this? i don't even..., Mandolyn ...
- Today is but tomorrow..., David Lessard
- Sa hagupit ni Yolanda, nagkabuhol-buhol, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- At Nights, Madrason writer
- Trajectorya ng masuyong hampas-lupa, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)