The austere conduct of Ascetics stand tall
When they abandon worldly desires all.
The loftiness of those who have curbed all desires
Is akin to counting the number of people dead.
Beyond all others the Ascetic shines
Because the common place world he truly opines.
To one who has his five senses subdued
Lord Indra* himself is lured.
Great men overpower their desires
The small men fall in the worldly mires.
The great have the world within their spell
To interpret about sight, hearing, taste, touch and smell.
The Ascetics negotiate with words cryptic
By which they convey with codes mystique.
The wrath of an insulted Ascetic, who is atop a hill
Cannot be borne and endured to still.
The Ascetic towards all has pools of compassion
And thus fulfills in this world his mission.
chandra thiagarajan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
It was authored by the Saint-Poet-'Thiruvalluvar' who lived 30 years before Christ.
*Lord Indra is considered as the King of Heaven in Hindu philosophy.
Comments about this poem (Lofty Ascetics by chandra thiagarajan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- We humans, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Poet Seer thrive, Emmanuel George Cefai
- In the meadows of the Night, Emmanuel George Cefai
- In the sadness of the night, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Not long, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Sitting Down On The Tracks While The Tra.., mary douglas
- Small verse, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The Usual rote Of sadness, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Non-playing Captain, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Iron, Emmanuel George Cefai