Love In The Park
The old park bench stood empty,
It's wood now old and worn,
She walked towards her favourite spot,
Her coat a shade of fawn.
Her legs were tired and weary,
The sun shone on her face,
She sat beneath the old oak tree,
This was their special place.
She opened up her old straw bag,
Then placed her hand inside,
She grasped the tattered photograph,
Then placed it by her side.
There he was, her handsome chap,
This very place they met,
Her heart now aching for her love,
Her eyes now glazed and wet.
They'd met upon a sunny day,
He stopped to say hello,
Smartly dressed in his Sunday suit.
Their eyes skipped to and fro.
Their meetings here a regular thing,
Love blossomed very fast,
With talk of marriage in the air,
Their love would surely last.
But she never forgot those words he said,
I have to go to war!
A scene that she would never forget,
As he waved from the old train door.
Killed by friendly fire,
Such a cruel twist of fate,
Heartache for her one true love,
Forever she would wait.
Goodbye my love,
She sadly says,
As she makes the long trip home,
You'll stay with me forever,
For here, I'm not alone.
Jayne Davies's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Love In The Park by Jayne Davies )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Alone, Modou George
- Circles Of Pain, Margaret Alice Second
- We Are Hearts Of Life, Naveed Akram
- Glisten & Wait, Nika McGuin
- Paddy Murphy Is Fred Astaire, Donal Mahoney
- Forgiveness, Eugene Latumbo
- Wrapping Paper, Bows, and You, Nika McGuin
- The imperfect world, Cyrus Shaftang
- Marriage, Marlin Nightingale
- Ruins الاطلال, MOHAMMAD SKATI