M.Lermontov, To... I shan't abase... - translation (rus.)
by Mihail Lermontov
I shan't abase before you ever;
And neither greeting, nor reproach
From you could rule over my soul, never.
Just know: we are alien henceforth.
You did forget: I shan't my freedom
For some delusion give at once;
As years I've left for sweetiest
Your smile and pretty eyes at last.
And too long time I failed expecting
In you the hope of my youth,
And thus the world I have neglected,
Although stronger loving you.
Who knows, may be such good moments,
Which passed at your feet so fast,
Were taken out of my potency
Of inspiration, without any other cast!
May be inspired of divinity,
With faith in power of soul
I'd dropp to world my magic gift then,
God's immortality would follow?
Why did you promise so easy
To substitute his wreth at large,
Why wasn't you in the beginning
Such as you did become at last!
I'm proud! .. Please, forgive me so!
Let you love other one in future;
Despite of any earthly forces,
I shouldn't take the slaves's duty.
To alien mountains I'll point
Myself, to sky of south, may be;
But we'd each other known so,
That couldn't forget this perfectly.
From that day I will merge to pleasures,
Will swear in my passion all;
With all around I will gladden
Myself, but won't crying for.
I will be shameless and deceive
The others, that not love either;
How could I any woman to esteem,
When angel was unfaithful rather?
I was prepared then to go
Through pain and even death for that
The only enchanting moment,
When I could shake your infant hand -
Oh, crazy! - one more time to shake!
Without knowledge of betrayal,
I gave to you my soul there;
And did you know the true value?
You knew - but I was unaware!
Lyudmila Purgina's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (M.Lermontov, To... I shan't abase... - translation (rus.) by Lyudmila Purgina )
- The Truest Love., Achill Ladd
- Points made between waves, Mark Heathcote
- ignus fatuus or sketches of my past?, Mandolyn ...
- Black Wings, Lilly Emery
- United we Stand Divided we fall, Aftab Alam
- Beauty, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Come Home, Richard Provencher
- Like our dream, Aftab Alam
- A puppet in times hand, Aftab Alam
- Nature's arts., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)