N.Zabolotsky, The Unbeautiful girl - translation (rus.)
The unbeautiful girl
by Nikolai Zabolotzky
Among the other playing children she
Seems to be a little awful frogling.
The pants tucked in her poor shirt you see,
The curly hair - tousled all and nodding,
The curve teeth and the mouth long on face,
The features're sharp and ugly to disgrace.
The fathers recently have bought the bicyles
For two boys of the same age, and today
They're driving round court yard joyously,
Despite of dinner, everything away,
She's running after them so gay.
The boy's fun does exist there in her self,
She tries to pour the feelings out,
And she is laughing and rejoicing with them
This happy Being shouting aloud.
No any shade of envy or a poor thought
This creature does not know till the day.
And everything is new around her,
All is alive, that someone throws away!
I don't wish to think, that years later
It will be day, when she would burst to cry
While seeing truth and turning into horror
With view as plain girl in comparison to other!
I wish then to believe, that pure flame,
Which's shining in her inner soul,
Would diminish then all her pain
And throw off the heaviest inner stone.
So let's her features neither be so good,
Nor she could lure someone's fancy cent, -
Her infantile grace of soul should
Shine though any of her vivid movements.
And if it's so, what's then the Beauty?
Why do the people deify its mode?
May be it is the vessel with futility,
Or fire twinkling in the vessel infold?
Lyudmila31 Purgina's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (N.Zabolotsky, The Unbeautiful girl - translation (rus.) by Lyudmila Purgina )
- Let Alone Me, Asma Riaz Khan
- The Unbearable, Lilly Emery
- My Childhood poem-3, soulful heart
- Nature Expresses Itself, Rohit Sapra
- I sold myself, Asma Riaz Khan
- Beauty, narasanna n narasanna n
- This Week's Spread, Jim Creston
- The Other Side, David Harris
- Come! Let's make it happen, Asma Riaz Khan
- O Beija-flor, Von Kimball Barney
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)