John Carter Brown
There's really no such thing as 'proper' music
You either like a piece, or not;
The need for deep analysis is pointless
The end result of which would tell you what?
Appreciation of it is subjective
And one man's concord is another's din;
So let us not be snobbish 'bout the business,
Just listen up, and take it on the chin.
Whichever way you look it's just vibrations
From strings, or reed, or any tube of brass
That ends up rattling through your ear-holes;
It lays no claim to up' or lower class.
A scale is just a pure man-made invention
The intervals of which are arbitrary,
Not set in stone, completely at our mercy,
To do with as we please, and we're contrary.
And harmony, also, is naught but fancy,
That moves and bends at some composer's will,
Uniting with the melody, and proving
The joy the listener feels, the bliss, the thrill.
There's nothing in the rule-book can't be broken,
You're free to play whatever comes to mind;
And I am standing by this my conviction,
Without a grudge, complaint, or axe to grind.
But foolish would I be if I were thinking
That all and everyone agreed with me;
So I won't ridicule you, or your music,
If you in turn don't play the fool with me.
(Written June 2013)
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Proper Music by John Carter Brown )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Let us do good, Luo Zhihai
- Ask the tree, Luo Zhihai
- The Story Of Grandpa, Taiko
- Love Note 15, Michael P. McParland
- Poetry Heaven, Kim Barney
- Thank You My Love, Margaret Alice Second
- My Dream, Michael P. McParland
- joshua trees hopping in the trunk of the.., Mandolyn ...
- my lovely lovely wife, Rasheed Alqahas
- Four Leaf Clover, Eve White