'Scents Of Christmas' Past'
When just a small girl, I seem now to remember when,
There was a special scent of Christmas in our home,
How the Christmas evergreen’s pine perfume,
Room to room, would seem to roam.
Even sounds seemed different back then,
Then they do somehow today,
Don’t know if it’s because I’ve grown accustom to them,
Not filled with that child-like excitement,
In my remembered, childhood Christmas way.
Maybe it’s because the nest is empty now?
Of my children’s laughter and joy,
Somehow that’s what Christmas Day sounds should be,
Filled up with little children,
All playing with their Christmas toys.
So when on Christmas morning,
As they all would rise,
They’d all run down to view the miracle,
Of Santa’s Clauses’ big surprise.
Then mom would brew some hot cocoa up,
Float some tiny marshmallows on their tops,
And every child would place their presents aside for awhile,
While they drank up every luscious drop.
Then all the relatives would arrive,
And share in the Christmas feast mom always had,
This is what I remember
All the joy the scents of Christmas
That always made me glad.
By: Linda Winchell
Linda Winchell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ('Scents Of Christmas' Past' by Linda Winchell )
- Abstract Woman, Naveed Khalid
- Abstraction II, Naveed Khalid
- Abstraction I, Naveed Khalid
- Invisibility, Naveed Khalid
- Genie, Naveed Khalid
- Witchcraft, Naveed Khalid
- Circle, Yohan Confectioner
- Treblinka 1945, Michael O'Sullivan
- 'My Poems Conclusion With All My Sadness.., Ali Sabry
- 'My Dear, ', Ali Sabry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)