'Scents Of Christmas' Past'
When just a small girl, I seem now to remember when,
There was a special scent of Christmas in our home,
How the Christmas evergreen’s pine perfume,
Room to room, would seem to roam.
Even sounds seemed different back then,
Then they do somehow today,
Don’t know if it’s because I’ve grown accustom to them,
Not filled with that child-like excitement,
In my remembered, childhood Christmas way.
Maybe it’s because the nest is empty now?
Of my children’s laughter and joy,
Somehow that’s what Christmas Day sounds should be,
Filled up with little children,
All playing with their Christmas toys.
So when on Christmas morning,
As they all would rise,
They’d all run down to view the miracle,
Of Santa’s Clauses’ big surprise.
Then mom would brew some hot cocoa up,
Float some tiny marshmallows on their tops,
And every child would place their presents aside for awhile,
While they drank up every luscious drop.
Then all the relatives would arrive,
And share in the Christmas feast mom always had,
This is what I remember
All the joy the scents of Christmas
That always made me glad.
By: Linda Winchell
Linda Winchell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ('Scents Of Christmas' Past' by Linda Winchell )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(18 November 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Gerard Manley Hopkins
(28 July 1844 – 8 June 1889)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- My Hometown, Ray Hansell
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- The law of these times, Ravikumar C.P.
- So Many Minds Are Left Fractured, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Mystic Blake, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Today's World, Leong Ming Loong
- Thoughts in the Moonlight, Luo Zhihai
- Tales Of A Wife: Honeymoon, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Guard well, gajanan mishra
- The Photographer, Ravikumar C.P.
- Tuavatara!, Ravikumar C.P.
- Mystery Caller, Ravikumar C.P.