'Scents Of Christmas' Past'
When just a small girl, I seem now to remember when,
There was a special scent of Christmas in our home,
How the Christmas evergreen’s pine perfume,
Room to room, would seem to roam.
Even sounds seemed different back then,
Then they do somehow today,
Don’t know if it’s because I’ve grown accustom to them,
Not filled with that child-like excitement,
In my remembered, childhood Christmas way.
Maybe it’s because the nest is empty now?
Of my children’s laughter and joy,
Somehow that’s what Christmas Day sounds should be,
Filled up with little children,
All playing with their Christmas toys.
So when on Christmas morning,
As they all would rise,
They’d all run down to view the miracle,
Of Santa’s Clauses’ big surprise.
Then mom would brew some hot cocoa up,
Float some tiny marshmallows on their tops,
And every child would place their presents aside for awhile,
While they drank up every luscious drop.
Then all the relatives would arrive,
And share in the Christmas feast mom always had,
This is what I remember
All the joy the scents of Christmas
That always made me glad.
By: Linda Winchell
Linda Winchell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ('Scents Of Christmas' Past' by Linda Winchell )
- There, Barbara Dixion
- Humpty-Dumpty, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Of Life Is Change, Is It Poetry
- Chicken Burger, Angela Wybrow
- Take me home, Barbara Dixion
- How...?, Ginny Gibbs
- gustakhi karke ched gyin uski aankhein, Yashvardhan Goel
- mukda, Yashvardhan Goel
- No More Yelling, Michael McParland
- The Wilderness We Abandon, Robert Rorabeck
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)