She has a violent silent rage for her age.
They say it's because of the life she lived before coming to our home.
She damages the chrome.
Sneakily moving about,
It wasn't me!
I didn't do it.
Then later she admits, okay, I did do it.
But you made me.
By not letting me, be me.
She ignites the fuse.
She's always cranky.
Blaming everyone else for her own actions,
She's at war with herself.
Doesn't understand right from wrong,
She has no sense of belonging.
She still longs.
For the life she was recused from.
She looks at her rescue, more as an intrusion.
She lives in confusion.
Not knowing the difference between good and evil.
Strapped in the deep dark chains from the devil,
She has no respect for person or property.
Her only goal is to get even.
Giving it all and equal seven.
Every day of the week, she makes the strong weak.
With lies and deception,
She's the receptionist to suffering's reception.
There's no emotional connection.
With her present life,
Her food is stale hard bitter bread made from strife.
As she carves her initials into the kitchen counter,
Wanting everyone to pay for her new name,
Sorry is the new game.
Sorry you brought her into your life.
Sorry she takes and steals your most meaningful possessions.
My things become her obsessions.
This is the impression carved with her knife.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Suffering's Receptionist by Patricia Kelley )
- Let's Live in Peace, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- I Dry My Tears, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Valley of an autumn's night, Raluca Mitra
- The stars that touch a rose is the star.., Raymond Sawyer
- *Halloween Stroll, Alice Vedral Rivera
- चाँद रात में सैर, Rajnish Manga
- Oil In White Robe, Okoemu Barnabas
- I Could Have Loved You, Sandra Feldman
- I Don't Feel Like A Poet Today, Buxton Shippy
- A weirdo, Amgad Samy
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Unity is Strength, S.D. TIWARI
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Wait, Galway Kinnell
(1 February 1927)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)