The Dolphin and the Diver
I am diving when a dolphin swims by,
I hold my breath until I sigh,
I cannot believe she is so near,
Looking at me with no fear.
She lets me touch her side,
How beautiful she does glide.
I see her eye watching me.
She's found a friend in this great sea.
Fishing line trails from her fin,
To leave now would be a sin.
In her eye I sense her trust,
The urge to help her is a must.
So still she is during her wait,
In my hands lies her fate.
My fingers weak I tug in vain,
I cry inside and feel her pain.
I take out my knife
To save her life.
And hope it will not scare,
Moving quickly as I dare.
She must see the knife so cold,
And in its steel a fear so old.
I free her to my great relief,
To let her roam among the reef.
She races up far above,
Flying like a graceful dove.
For air she needs to breathe.
She didn't really want to leave.
Back she comes to say thank you,
And in my heart I love her too.
Our time together was a gift,
That gives my soul a lift.
When days are threatened by sorrow,
I swim with her for all tomorrow.
Stephen Katona's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
https: //www.youtube.com/watch? v=CCXx2bNk6UA
Comments about this poem (The Dolphin and the Diver by Stephen Katona )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Autumn Song, Sarojini Naidu
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- BHARAT KE VEER, AVINASH PANDEY KHUSH
- Memories of river., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Life musings., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Record, Holy Man
- observing shells on your shore, Mandolyn ...
- Fly, Holy Man
- Happy I go Unhappy I Go, Akhtar Jawad
- Magical Glass of Water, Vera Sidhwa
- Timeless Ticking, Justin Sisson
- With terror, hasmukh amathalal