The song of Hypatia (AD 415)
For heresy and negating the heavenly laws
Hypatia was deprived from all honours and applause.
Let me confess my crime,
(Phrased 'she' like thus)
'That's proven wrong the biblical rhymes,
and divine creation'.
A glory of science
melted all the superstitions
and fell Alexandria into frustration.
The holy men and fanatics
Forced her to retrieve from work ecstatic.
'Could my subversion and intelligence be tolerated?
That's revealing the truth for souls emancipated!
'But I assure you O stark, idle brains,
Listen to my this cerebral strain,
My wit and wisdom shall never be restrained,
You have nothing but conflicting tales of genesis and fate,
And fables of fear and hate;
Come and bless me with your ignorance and anger.
'I will be killed I know,
But you will never see my temper low,
And I will espouse this martyrdom instead
With due grace and honor,
And will reflect the unseen might...
Ah! Hypatia of Alexandria
Woman of bravery, beauty and wisdom.
Thus was brutally doomed;
A flower before time once bloomed.
gulsher JOHN's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
for detail story please watch the movie 'Agora'
Comments about this poem (The song of Hypatia (AD 415) by gulsher JOHN )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 January 1887 – 20 January 1962)
- Jennifer Gordon
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1886 - 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- Black Riders Came From the Sea, Stephen Crane
Poem of the Day
- I Want A Foreigner Girl For Me, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Blackberries / Briars, Frank Avon
- Daru Pikar Naya Varsha Shuru Karne Ka Er.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- It Is Time, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mother's Love, Father's Love, Sister's L.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- 52, Frank Avon
- Treasure, M.J. Lemon
- For A Friend... (Prose) ..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Thank you Poets!, Paul Sebastian
- One Mourning In The August of '17, Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR