World Records - little unknown facts
(source - Guinness Book of World Records - 1989)
Illacme Plenipes, a millipede*
Continues to deceive
No one thousand feet it has
Seven hundred fifty feet it has
*This millipede is reported to have had 750 legs.
The millipede Illacme Plenipes*
Has a chore getting out and into bed
With all those shoes on his feet
Every morning and night repeating the feat
The difference between a centipede
And a millipede may be one of feet.
The one is shorter, the other longer than a foot.
The difference is plain when you look
The killer whale Orcinus orca *
is in marine waters the cheetah
Dall’s porpoise has a spurt to match
But soon must lag behind and watch.
*On Oct 12,1958, a bull whale measuring 20-25 ft in length was timed at 30 knots (34.5 mph) . This porpoise was also reported to be able to travel for short spurts at 30 knots.
An operatic aria when sung
Listeners must sit to listen awhile
about four times a 4-minute mile.
+ The longest single aria or operatic solo, Brünnehilde's recording of this opera was timed at 14 min.46 sec.
Ben Gieske's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (World Records - little unknown facts by Ben Gieske )
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Play The Game, Jessie Pope
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Nostalgia, Rimni chakravarty
- The Spirit-World, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Blinded by stress, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Of Fauns Of Satyrs, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The next activity, Emmanuel George Cefai
- As aged I, Emmanuel George Cefai
- true friend, Rani Jain
- In laziness begot, Emmanuel George Cefai
- When Times Will Ring with Bells, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Hurling themselves over the rocks, Emmanuel George Cefai