A Bird Has No Wings In The Storm
I started re-reading Kawabata Yasunari san's 'Izu no Odoriko'
and I dream of your golden country 'Japan'.
I was surprised as I have been there.
Chiba-ken, Matsudo city, sakura-dori, tokiwadaira coffe master
funabashi Japanese language school,
the railway between Kunugiyama & goko.
Sapporo beer, sake with sakasuki
taste of tempura and udong; sushi and sashimi
the restaurants I visited with my life long friend Shozo Suzuki san and his
I walk towards in the memory lane
melancholy tune of windbells in Yoshiwara,
still I breathe the cool breeze there
and I sniff the fragrance of death from isolated graveyards
I would like to drown in Sumida -kawa
like Dazai Ozamu san who killed himself by drowning in the lakeTamagawa at Inokashira park.
I am sure that you will bury me near by Ishikawa Takuboku san's grave.
Though I am a Sri Lankan, I may be belongs to your soil in my early birth.
Oh! God if you are still remain in the sky; please grant me an opportunity to see them at least once
before I die in my cage.
that's my only wish.
Dedication to my life long friend Shozo.Suzuki & his family. Also to the poetess Sayumi Takahashi san & Yasuyuki Tanaka san.
nimal dunuhinga's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Bird Has No Wings In The Storm by nimal dunuhinga )
- Unofficial Issues, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Closed, Annalee Hopkins Somerville
- Iridescent, Adriana Avila
- Arcadian, Kumarmani Mahakul
- A Hidden Angry, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- irritating rash, lee fones
- Feeling Love, Sandra Feldman
- so in other words, i feel for two, Mandolyn ...
- Text time, george albot
- Deep Friendship, Sandra Feldman
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)