Dr Tapan Kumar Pradhan
A Prayer to God
Hails to thee, Lord!
In your praise we offered a thousand oblations
broke a hundred coconuts, and offered prayers
in quiet we fasted, chanted countless carols
in your praise, Lord!
We asked for a son, you gave us billions!
We asked for knowledge, great sceptics you made us
We asked for mercy, and from the wars
and floods and famines like a father you saved us,
In your glory we erected mandirs and mosques
In your honour we established a hundred religions
In your name we slaughtered all bloody blasphemers
infidel intellectuals who ever tried to make fuss,
With your blessings we created missiles to save us
With your blessings we became masters of universe
We conquered bird, beast, mountains, jungles
and created at will storms, clouds and deserts
by your grace, Lord!
Whatever you gave us, you gave in bounties,
our bellies are full, Lord! now spare us please,
do not give us anymore
but take our all -
fecundity, depravity, meanness, squalor
avarice, lustfulness, the craving for more,
violence, suspiciousness - all we can offer -
take away our virility, our pride, our learning
take away all this, and oh yes everything,
please Lord! !
Dr Tapan Kumar Pradhan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Prayer to God by Dr Tapan Kumar Pradhan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- Waiting for someone, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- Net of Death, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- Man for Man, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- Lost Love, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- Invisible wall, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- Mom, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- Emergence from the Pack, william upton
- The Interior Design of Darkness, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- The World Free From Hunger, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- A Farmer Daughter, Zillur Rahman Shuvro