Peter Daniel Phiri
As New Year Approaches
As the year reaches twighlight,
My love burns like firelight;
And faded dreams disappear like nightmares at dawn.
In the interim darkness to come, may you, my love, stay close to my light?
As new year approaches like dawn, through the interim cold, may you harness its warmth?
As joy of today's happiness soar sky high,
May we not forget the tears of yesterday?
For tears of yesterday was nothing but seeds for today's happiness.
Be careful, likewise, today's joy may be mustard seed for tomorrow's sorrow.
It's strange but true, at times the past awaits us in the future,
Lovemore, my brother, I hope it becomes true in my life.
For I can't forget you just like that!
Another year on the verge of birth and we can't celebrate it with you.
I know you are amongst the dead and saints growing impatient,
Relax, stop flapping your wings, your day of glory will come,
For it is written, the dead and the saints will come with the Lord through the skies.
I don't know when the Lord will come, but I know it's soon, but definately not this year.
So please allow us to celebrate, wish us all a happy new year!
Peter Daniel Phiri's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (As New Year Approaches by Peter Daniel Phiri )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Harry 'Breaker' Harbord Morant
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Love Many Ones, Again & Again., Durgapuri Babu
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Before I Knocked, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
Poem of the Day
- It Was 1986 When I Started Writing In En.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- You can attain, gajanan mishra
- Escaping the Friend Zone, Charles Hancock
- A Caged Mind, Leong Ming Loong
- Uncle Trevor's Equality Theory, rohan bendre
- Right direction, gajanan mishra
- Brother wept, hasmukh amathalal
- Not good to go with deaf ear, gajanan mishra
- TIME, Eugene Latumbo
- True to life, Cee Bea