Peter Daniel Phiri
As New Year Approaches
As the year reaches twighlight,
My love burns like firelight;
And faded dreams disappear like nightmares at dawn.
In the interim darkness to come, may you, my love, stay close to my light?
As new year approaches like dawn, through the interim cold, may you harness its warmth?
As joy of today's happiness soar sky high,
May we not forget the tears of yesterday?
For tears of yesterday was nothing but seeds for today's happiness.
Be careful, likewise, today's joy may be mustard seed for tomorrow's sorrow.
It's strange but true, at times the past awaits us in the future,
Lovemore, my brother, I hope it becomes true in my life.
For I can't forget you just like that!
Another year on the verge of birth and we can't celebrate it with you.
I know you are amongst the dead and saints growing impatient,
Relax, stop flapping your wings, your day of glory will come,
For it is written, the dead and the saints will come with the Lord through the skies.
I don't know when the Lord will come, but I know it's soon, but definately not this year.
So please allow us to celebrate, wish us all a happy new year!
Peter Daniel Phiri's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (As New Year Approaches by Peter Daniel Phiri )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Whose Fault is This?, Luo Zhihai
- Vibrations Of Spirituality, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- RAFA, douglas scotney
- Theoretically Squeaking, michael walkerjohn
- Interior Life's Library, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Why I Love writing Poetry?, Hebert Logerie
- Enjoyable Times, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Regions Of Silent Atmospheres, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Switching Parties, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Spiral Interpretations, RoseAnn V. Shawiak