B.Akhmadulina, August - translation (rus.)
by Bella Akhmadulina
So generous was august, dropping stars,
So unthinking - in the set for property,
And dwellers' faces of Rostov-town,
Of all the south dwellers - turned to spectacle.
I'm thanking my good fate for fall
Of shining stars down on naked shoulders,
So similar is downfall of all
The lilac inflorescence in the garden old.
We watched for long the sunset at that time,
Our neighbours were such angry with the keys,
When a musician leaned to the old piano
With his grey-haired head, deriving music.
We were the sounds of one single music.
Oh, we could then untune the instrument,
But this accord from you to me
Was hardly to be torn or ruined.
In autumn this the beacons were so bright,
So near, close were the shining stars,
On boulevards the sailors had good time,
And girls in headscarfs had run about.
As earlier there are the fall and heat,
As earlier the sea shore is invariable,
Only from single music two light keys,
Two tunes had slipped out forever.
Lyudmila Purgina's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (B.Akhmadulina, August - translation (rus.) by Lyudmila Purgina )
- Bottled and Guarded the Overberg Story, Jenny Santiago
- हमारा घर हमारा भारत, MIRTUNJAY KUMAR
- Lampost, Naveed Khalid
- Tablet Of Simurgh, Naveed Khalid
- My Chamber of the Great Escape, Jenny Santiago
- To The Moon I, Naveed Khalid
- Where I want to be, Jenny Santiago
- Beehive, Naveed Khalid
- Purgatory, Naveed Khalid
- I seek, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Ballad of Gentleness, Geoffrey Chaucer
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Being With You, Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)