She dared to apologise on my behalf,
she dared to ignore the slight
offending my brown skin.
She smiled. And shrugged her shoulders.
-please forgive my friend-
she said, with a crooked contempt filled half- smile.
And in her eyes i was just another embarrassment.
Another angry brown skin.
So they quote their psuedoscience. And
they try to justify
400 years of...bullshit.
And they hide behind
And they say
-i don't see race-
well, i say,
look at my skin like muscovado sugar,
sweet, sweet on your brother's pink tongue.
And while he ran his tanned hands through my kinky dark hair
and he whispered my foreign name,
in my tickled, reddened ear.
my belly filled and grew taut.
The life inside?
Was brown like me.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (BrownSkin by Rae Edson )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- December Walk, Julyn Pride
- Conundrums Consequence..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Whats and Whats, Ibrahim Lawal Soro
- No Answers To Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Angelwalk 2, Mr. Spock
- Bridging The Beauty of New York On The H.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Hiking Limerick, Mr. Spock
- Christmas Tree, Mr. Spock
- The Star, The Wish, The Coming..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Christmas Star, Mr. Spock