RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Surreptitiously stealing particles of sanity, storing them
away for later dates when all have left.
Knowing there are no paths left to take, falling among broken
promises and shattered dreams, betrayed by love, lies burning
Changing times and hurried preparations, stilted conversation
amounting to nothing.
Folders of past hopes, filed in cabinets of rusted steel,
fraying around the edges, of no more use than patio furniture
in the snow.
Anticipated joys no longer will be found in life, there are
no such things.
Funeral sorrow placed around shoulders, taking away promises
of anything eternal, tomorrow's future, all has passed away,
leaving empty passages entombed underground.
Vast vertical horizons, falling from final graspings, trying
to attain a form of normalcy, failing, turned inside out and
left mourning under skies of black and gray.
Raining tears slip and fall, never touching a ceramic face,
hiding from the effects of constant abuse.
RoseAnn V. Shawiak's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Empty Passages by RoseAnn V. Shawiak )
Did you read them?
- Silent voice, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- The Gentlemen For Me, Poetic Lilly Emery
- The eyes of the stars is the eyes of Sta.., Raymond Sawyer
- Let's Live in Peace, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- I Dry My Tears, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Valley of an autumn's night, Raluca Mitra
- The stars that touch a rose is the star.., Raymond Sawyer
- *Halloween Stroll, Alice Vedral Rivera
- चाँद रात में सैर, Rajnish Manga
- Oil In White Robe, Okoemu Barnabas
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1927)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)