If I could look into your past perhaps I'd understand.
You stayed guarded.
I wanted so badly for you to share your heart.
You allowed only glimpses of your pain.
I held you as if you were the child.
Comforting, encouraging, stroking your hair.
Now a mother,
I realize, you still felt a little girl.
For I have layed in my daugters arms, and was comforted.
I wear this uniform.
My girls think me
Inside I feel I pulled one off.
For I am that little girl, who has learned lessons in life.
I have earned this.
I listened Daddy,
I listened Mommy.
I did what I was told.
I learned from your mistakes.
Thank you for walking that road for me.
I will not travel it.
You came back and told me of the paths destruction!
I will be thankful.
I will be content!
Even if I walk alone!
Vonda Overlie's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Growing up! by Vonda Overlie )
- A surrealistic image صورة سوريالية, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- In 80s, Nassy Fesharaki
- A Walk in the Woods, Abdul Malik Mandani
- Natural Alliance, Abdul Malik Mandani
- Stop your Sobbing (haiku), Elizabeth Padillo Olesen
- Beauty in Nature and Human Creativity, Elizabeth Padillo Olesen
- bruised squeezed sweet fruit, Is It Poetry
- That awkward curfew حظر التجول الحرج ذلك, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Abroad, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Thinking About You, Ronald Chapman
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)